Social media is changing the way in which people interact. This includes changes both in the way that people relate to individuals with whom they are acquainted, how they interact with friends of friends – and even how they network with strangers.
For players, the possibilities for interactive and satisfying gaming entertainment seems endless. Gaming on social networks presents a wide range of game options plus a variety of playing levels, differing wagering levels, VIP amenities, free slots play and other perks. It’s no wonder that Facebook, Twitter and other social media sites are investing heavily in this new offer.
Social media involves a website or an application that enables individuals who use the site to create and share content or interact with one another via social networking. The earliest social media site was MySpace which opened in 2003, offering users the opportunity to engage in interactive social networking where users could see each other’s profiles and connect through user-submitted blogs, photos, groups, music, and videos.
MySpace was followed by more successful enterprises including FB, Twitter, LinkedIn, Instagram and others. By 2017 the vast majority of Americans – 81% – were using at least one social media site and worldwide, the number of social media users reached almost 2 billion. During 2018 that number is expected to rise by almost 25%.
People use social media for a variety of reasons. The main reason that most people open a social media profile is that social networking helps them to experience a high level of social interaction. This includes the chance to meet new people and keep in touch with family, friends and acquaintances in an easy and friendly manner.
Social media users are also likely to use the social network platform to acquire information or “crowdsource”, relax, express opinions, pass time, share information, keep in touch and relax.
Social Media Gaming
For individuals who are looking for social entertainment, social networking makes that possible through both free and for-pay games, videos and music.
One of the most interactive forms of social media entertainment involves social gaming. Facebook was the first to notice that the social gaming sites that FB facilitated were hugely popular. FB integrated the turn-based model (a strategy game in which participants take turns when playing – as distinguished from real time strategy where all participants play simultaneously) into its platform so casual players could enjoy gaming action via their social media profile
Some of the characteristics of social gaming include:
- The game is turn-based where players take turns as they enjoy the same kind of gaming action that they would experience if they had been sitting across the table from one another in real-time.
- The social media site offers casual gaming which gives players a chance to enjoy social gaming in an environment of fun and entertainment without the tense atmosphere that often accompanies hard-core gambling.
- Players compete through their social platform so they can communicate as they play in a dynamic multi-player environment.
- Participants can follow the gaming adventures of their friends and other social media contacts. They can track their successes, commiserate over their challenges and share in their triumphs.
Social Media Gaming as a Game-Changer
Social Networking games has changed the online gaming landscape in multiple ways. In the U.S. the social gaming industry is now worth $2.15 billion and that number is projected to climb.
How do social media games change the gaming landscape?
For one thing, social media games offer instant gratification. People have learned to expect instant gratification in the Age of the Internet and social network gaming meets that expectation. Players can log into their social media account and play at any time and on any device at their leisure whenever and from wherever they wish.
Another significant change involves the peer-to-peer aspect of social gaming. Gamers don’t compete against a gaming machine – they play alongside their friends, both existing friends and new friends that they meet while playing the game.
Thirdly, through social media, players can communicate about their gaming experience and provide ideas and guidance to other players. Participants discuss their thoughts about each game which then directs other players into the type of gaming experience that fits their individual interests and needs.
Finally, social network games connect with pop culture to deliver a gaming event that melds with the player’s life off the gaming screen.
Popular Social Media Games
If you’re on social media you will likely have come across some of the most popular social media games. These are games that were designed as turn-based games for casual players who wish to enjoy a multi-player experience in an interactive, social atmosphere.
Some of the world’s most popular social media games include:
- FarmVille – The gentle Farmville game features a farm scene where players can experience the tranquility of farm life through farm animals, harvests, growing crops and more. The game was developed by Zynga and is one of the most popular social media game opportunities. It’s estimated that close to 10% of all Facebook users have played FarmVille at some point. The FarmVille farm involves the neighbor system where each player builds up his own farm through interactions with his Facebook friends. The more the player engages with friends during the process, the higher his productivity will rise. Farmville has now spawned the newest social media game CityVille, which brings the same concepts of friends to social media gaming.
- Words With Friends – Scrabble can now be played on social media thanks to Words with Friends which allows you to compete at the time-honored word game with your friends. You pick when you want to play each word at your personal discretion.
- Worlds of Warcraft – War competitions can be played in an interactive social media atmosphere in the World of Warcraft game. World of Warcraft – or, as enthusiasts call it, WoW – has a wide range of social capabilities, so, for instance, instead of leveling up a character by yourself or fighting off a monster you do it in tandem with thousands of other gamers. Players interact in different ways including through online chats and through emails. Participants make friends and enemies, take on new personas and form relationships for a powerful and engaging social game.
- Gambino – Gambino is actually a collection of online slots games built for the social gaming environment. A casino full of play-for-fun slots games which you can play online or, even better yet, on Facebook. With tons of games and tons of promotions, the casino is quite action-packed. As you’re not making real money purchases and not betting real money, it’s more or less obvious that you’re not going to win real money. This casino is all about the fun AND social interaction with your fellow players.